If all the Seattle snow kept your from finishing up (or starting) your holiday shopping, you have roughly 24 hours to pull it together and look like a hero. Then you can smugly say, “Why yes, I did finish all my holiday shopping early this year!”
Going to the mall is probably going to make you crazy, and you’ll wind up buying something that you don’t really want just to get out of there. Instead, consider these local Seattle-area businesses that can offer really wonderful, and thoughtful, local gifts:
- Starbuck’s gift card – You can find one on every street corner, and it’s a great gift for a coffee lover. It can be used for a latte on the run, beans, or products at any of the gazillion Starbuck’s stores across the country.
- Amazon – There are not very many things that you won’t find available through Amazon, and let’s remember it is a local company. You can print out a picture of the item you’re giving, or make it a gift certificate for arrival later. And if you want an idea of a good choice, check out my review of the Kindle.
- Restaurant gift card – Whether it’s your local hangout, a neighborhood favorite, or a special occasion spot, most restaurants can whip up a gift card for you in very little time. Add it to a bottle of champagne for presentation, and you’ll have a gift to enjoy now and one to enjoy later.
- Wine – Did you forget that Washington has some outstanding wines? Splurge and stop by a wine shop and pick up something really special. Most decent sized markets, and many of the smaller specialty ones, have decent wine sections and buyers. Score bonus points if your gift includes a trip to the winery at a later date.
- Candy – Go for something local like Boehms or Dilettante. Combined with a nice bottle of wine and a restaurant gift card for somewhere really specially, and you’ve got a great gift.
- Nordstrom – Unless you really know what to get, opt for a gift certificate. Choose a sales counter that isn’t busy, and they can whip it out for you in a flash.
- Plants or Flowers – We have lots of great nurseries in the area, making a plant or flower selection easy no matter where you are. It’s also a gift that’s great for at home or at the office. If it’s a gift for someone special, try getting an orchid and pairing it up with a trip to see more orchids – perhaps growing in Hawaii.
- Annual membership – Something for most interests, whether it’s for the Seattle Art Museum, Woodland Park Zoo, or the Pacific Science Center. And, it’s a gift that they’ll appreciate all year long.
- Season tickets – The Seahawks, Mariners, Storm, Huskies, Thunderbirds, or any local sports team. Just make sure that’s they’re a fan, not just you!
- Jewelry – We have several locally owned jewelry store, so stop by Fox’s Gem Shop (downtown) or Ben Bridge Jewelers (various locations). If you don’t know what you want to buy, they’ll help you find a great way to present a gift for a later selection.
If you have any other local, Seattle-area based gift ideas, leave them here in the comments.
Now, what are you waiting for – time’s running short!
Photo credit: SXC